2020 KHSI Annual Photo Contest
Attention all Photographers:
The KHSI Annual Photo Contest is Open! All shutterbugs are welcome to enter. Photographers are not required to be KHSI members to enter. Quality photographs are needed to promote Katahdin Sheep in national magazines, promotional activities and in the Katahdin Hairald. Don’t miss out on the opportunity to get your photographs recognized and published.
Entries must be received by November 1st, 2020 and should be submitted here at the form below. Entries will be judged on composition, creativity, quality (exposure, focus) and relevance, with the goal of promoting Katahdin sheep. Prizes are awarded in “KHSI dollars” and can be used to pay for any Registry services (registering, recording or transferring sheep), or annual memberships.
First Place: $50 credit to be used at the KHSI regsistry
Second Place: $25 credit to be used at the KHSI regsistry
Third Place: $10 credit to be used at the KHSI regsistry
Hints: If you want your picture to make the cover of the Hairald, turn your camera 90 degrees so that the long axis is vertical. Cell phone photos don’t have enough resolution for cover photos and for magazine ads.
Each photographer can enter up to 2 photographs per category:
- Best Promotion – Katahdin Ewes – Photographs that show one or more of the qualities promoted for Katahdin ewes such as: efficient grazers, superb mothers, low maintenance, easy lambing, adaptable, shedding, etc.
- Best Promotion – Katahdin Rams – “Appropriate” photographs that show a picture of a Katahdin ram (s) or ram lamb(s) that can be used to promote Katahdins.
- Action/working – Photographs of activities such as moving/trailing sheep, lambing, tagging, exhibiting, grazing, feeding, etc. (Note that all pictures featuring youth ages 18 and younger should be entered in the “Kids and Sheep” category.)
- Katahdin Meat – Specifically looking for photos that promote Katahdins as a meat breed. Ideas for photos include: hanging carcass(es) that demonstrate muscle and quality finish, hanging carcass(es) split to show ribeye, photos of cuts to show good meat quality. Pictures of appetizing lamb meat or a lamb dish are also acceptable. Not required, but helpful if photos in this category include age, sex, hanging % and hanging carcass wt of lamb.
- Scenic – Photographs of sheep in the landscape. May include other species of livestock or livestock guardians. Photographs in this category should NOT include people.
- Kids and Sheep – Photographs containing pictures of youth less than 18 years of age and sheep.
- Open Category – Photographs that do not fall into the four above-listed categories.
- Just for Youth – Photographers submitting photos for this category must be 18 yrs of age or younger. Youth may submit photos in the other categories as well. The picture topic can be any of the above categories.
- Sheep Chores – Sheep chores such as weighing, moving, sorting, hoof trimming are included.
Other contest rules:
- Photos being submitted must have 1) been taken within the last 3 years and, 2) never been previously published.
- All entries become the property of KHSI to be used or reproduced at the discretion of KHSI. Owners of the photographed sheep may continue to use the photos.
Youth featured in photos must have the permission of parents prior to publishing.
- All entries must be submitted electronically, with a minimum resolution of 300 dpi..This is a very important rule! Check the settings on your camera. Many great photos can not be published due to poor resolution. Please be SURE the setting is at 300 dpi or higher.
- Entries are limited to two photographs per person per category.
- Please try to name your photo file name to something that matches your caption, to make handling easier for the committee.
To submit your photograph, use the form below.
Questions or difficulty with submitting? Please call or email KHSI Operations at firstname.lastname@example.org or (717) 335-8280