First Place – Escaped to Soybean Field
2nd place: Karen Kenagy
3rd place: Sophia Pardon
Best Promotion – Katahdin Rams
First Place: Our Katahdin ram enjoying the snow
2nd place: Samantha Wolfe
3rd place: Bobby Grider
Best Promotion- Katahdin Ewes
First Place – Ewe with triplets
2nd place: Jonathan Hickerson
3rd place: Beth Foster
Just for Youth
First Place – Picture Perfect
2nd place: Rebekah Evans
3rd place: Remington Curry
First Place – 3 yr old Katahdin ewe, mild and tasty, boneless chops
2nd place: Lynn Rocha
3rd place: Lynn Rocha
Kids and Sheep
First Place – Two Boys and a Ram
2nd place: Amy Tavalin
3rd place: Riley Carothers
First Place – Timmy
2nd place: Rhonda Kelmer
3rd place: Becky Shultz
First Place – Katahdin sheep grazing late summer pasture.
2nd place: Bill Sparrow
3rd place: Mandy Fletcher
First Place – Grain in the trough
2nd place: Sophia Pardon
3rd place: Sophia Pardon
Guidelines for 2020 KHSI SCHOLARSHIP
Eligible applicants are U.S. college students or high school seniors who are (or will be) attending a college or university of their choice.
Applicant must be a signed up youth member of KHSI (membership is free) or their immediate family must also be members of KHSI.
Applicant must be under 21 as of January 1, 2020 or under age 26 if applying for support for graduate school, and must have been involved with the Katahdin sheep industry for at least one year.
KHSI will award at least two (2) $500 scholarships in 2020. If enough funds are donated and enough quality applications received, KHSI will award three-four scholarships or increase the award amount.
Applicants may only receive the KHSI Scholarship one time.
Applicants who are not awarded a scholarship are encouraged to reapply.
Undergraduate and graduate level students are eligible to apply.
The KHSI Scholarship Committee will judge the applications. Scholarship recipients will receive an official letter and their award by mail. Scholarship recipients will be announced to the KHSI Membership at the 2020 KHSI Expo in Elizabethtown, KY on Friday, July 17, 2020.
Complete applications must be postmarked by the deadline or they will not be reviewed.
November 26, 2019
Happy New Year – Katahdin Youth Members!
For 2020, here are the KHSI requirements for youth membership:
- Your membership will not be renewed unless you return the renewal form. Make sure renewal form includes your year of birth.
- Only one copy of the Hairald will be mailed to each mailing address. For example, a family with three youth members and an adult membership will receive only one copy. Additional copies for our youth members can be purchased for $5/year per subscription (this is a great price).
IMPORTANT: Please be sure to send your 2020 dues check and Renewal Forms/Invoice to the KHSI Registry Office, PO Box 231, Wamgeo, KS 66547 (envelope enclosed).
Please include Youth Donations.
Opportunity to donate to Katahdin Youth programs. Donations are voluntary. With help from member donations of $50 or more, KHSI has been able to support several youth programs the past several years. Please donate to the youth activity of your choosing:
- Youth Scholarship Fund
- All American Junior Show (AAJS) fund (will result in your flock name on banners around the AAJS arena)
- Youth Show fund (covers Kennedy Family National Katahdin Junior Show and a few select regional youth shows including Leroy Boyd Show, Midwest Junior Preview and Big E.)
You can include your donations in your dues check. Please designate which fund(s) you want your donation to cover. Contact KHSI Operations in Fowlerville, MI for more information if you have questions about different donation opportunities.
1) Fill out the 2020 KHSI Invoice (include optional donations to youth programs.)
2) Optional: Fill out the 2020 KHSI Listing & Website Update Form. This includes more information about your flock that is posted at the website. Flocks with aseasonal lambing ewes, semen, embryos, yearlings as well as lambs for sale can have that information posted.
What contact numbers and email addresses should you include in your membership listing for sales?
- KHSI recommends you list only the number(s) that will consistently reach the person that handles sheep sales.
- Don’t include an email address or phone number that you don’t check promptly or regularly.
USA & Canadian Scrapie Programs. Only a small percentage of Katahdin flocks are in the Scrapie Flock Certification Program (SFCP), so please mark SFCP only if your flock participates. Just because you tag sheep with a scrapie tag does not mean that your flock is in SFCP.
2020 Katahdin Expo.
Mark your calendars for July 16-18, 2020 and come to 2020 KHSI Expo
Hardin County Cooperative Extension Service Facility
111 Opportunity Way,
Elizabethtown, Kentucky 42701.
The Expo committee is organizing a great program and we expect an excellent selection of Katahdins at the Expo sale. Watch the Hairald and our website www.katahdins.org for future details.
Thank you for your membership. KHSI looks forward to helping your flock have a successful 2020.